Recently, we posted about the benefits of adding Superfoods into your diet. Dark chocolate (not loaded with sugar) is a nutritious and delicious superfood that when eaten – sorry, but eaten in moderation – can provide many health benefits. Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients which can positively affect your health. It is made from the seed of the cacao tree and it is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet.
- Dark Chocolate is loaded with fiber, iron, potassium, and tons of other minerals and nutrients.
- The darker the better! The higher the cocoa content, the lower amounts of fat and sugar it typically contains. Try for 70% cocoa or higher.
- Cocoa and dark chocolate have a wide variety of powerful antioxidants, more than most other foods.
- Dark chocolate consumed in moderation may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate can reduce inflammation. Antioxidants and fiber in dark chocolate aren’t fully digested until they reach the colon where they absorbed into the body, decreasing
- Dark chocolate (again, eaten in moderation) can help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- It’s so good it feels like you’re being bad!
It should be noted that this doesn’t mean you should go for it and ingest a lot of chocolate every day. It still contains calories and is easy to overindulge on. It might be best to have a square or two of good quality, organic, dark chocolate with 70% or higher cocoa content after dinner to treat yourself. There are even great vegan dark chocolate options!
Dark Chocolate Superfood Cups
- 1 ½ cup chopped, dark chocolate (dairy free if you prefer vegan)
- ½ cup toppings of choice
- Chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit, matcha powder, toasted coconut
- Melt chocolate
- Line a muffin tin with liners (regular sized or mini muffins- as you prefer)
- Pour chocolate into tins; fill them ¼ to ½ full
- Allow to partially set on the counter for 2 minutes
- Sprinkle on toppings
- Refrigerate overnight or freeze for 30-60 minutes
- Remove liners and enjoy!