A vegan-friendly recipe for chili cooked in the slow cooker – with black beans and quinoa!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 cans drained and rinsed)
- 1-1 1/4 pounds peeled, cubed butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
- 1 14 or 15 ounce can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- Combine spices and liquids in separate bowl
- (optional) sauté onions, garlic, and celery first if you have time-for flavor!
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, stir everything to combine well, and cook on low for 6 hours
- Enjoy your vegan friendly chili!
Sour cream, chopped green or red onions, chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, avocado slices, guacamole, hot sauce