Adaptogens are a unique class of healing plants that help balance, restore and protect the body from the effects of stress and disease. Stress management is not a simple, one time fix. It should include practicing mindfulness, getting proper exercise and consuming a healthy diet. One approach to naturally relieving stress (as well as reducing long-term cortisol levels) is by using adaptogenic herbs. Cortisol, the stress hormone, can wreak havoc on your body when it’s produced in excess. Increased cortisol levels over long periods of time combined with chronic stress can affect every physiological system in your body, including your thyroid and adrenal glands and even your digestive system.
What Adaptogens help with stress reduction?
- Asian Ginseng, Eleuthero (or Siberian Ginseng), Rhodiola Rosea, and Maca stimulate the body, enhancing mental performance.
- Ashwagandha and Holy Basil help calm the body and soothe the adrenals when they’re super stressed
- Astragalus has immune-boosting properties
How do you use Adaptogens?
- Pill form
- Powders you can put into a smoothie or beverage
- Many people take adaptogens almost every day, while others will take them several times a day based on their needs.
Do I need Adaptogens?
- Adaptogens aren’t for a ‘specific’ condition or type of person. They are to be used as supplements to a healthy diet for overall health and to assist with stress management in the body.
How do I get started?
- Contact our Holistic Health Coach, Karol Spence for more information about getting yourself started on the healing plants that would be right for you.